Total Pageviews

Friday, August 5, 2011

Fresh Basil!

When I picked up my share this week, I happily found a bag of fresh basil!  Since it is still hot out, I have been trying to decide what to do with it all day.  Obviously, avoiding heating my oven is preferable.  I do not have enough basil to make pesto by itself, so I am considering making a basil Swiss chard pesto.  But in the meantime, I took one of the beautiful Roma tomatoes I recieved as well as a few basil leaves to create a beautiful pizza:

Margherita Pizza
  • 1 whole wheat flatbread
  • 2 Tbsp fresh tomato sauce
  • 1 med roma tomato*
  • 5 small fresh basil leaves*
  • 5 Tbsp marcarpone cheese
  • salt & pepper
Heat toaster oven to 350F.  Line toaster oven sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.  Place flatbread on oven sheet.  Spread with fresh tomato sauce.  Slice tomato thin and place on flatbread.  Spoon mascarpone cheese between tomato slices and place basil leaves evenly over flatbread.  Bake in toaster oven 6-8 minutes until cheese melts.  Season with salt and pepper as desired.


*CSA ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment