Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Mulligatawny Stew

I have seen recipe after recipe for Mulligatawny stew.  I don't know why, but when I was much younger, I thought this stew came from Australia, but I now know that the origin is actually Anglo-Indian.  The name, Tamil in origin, literally translates to pepper water.  While there is no traditional form, the recipe I followed today gets it's color and flavor from curry powder.  I have added mushrooms because I needed to use them up.  And I chose to use leeks instead of onions.  But it smells lovely and looks quite yummy.  Oh yeah, the thing that has always intrigued me beyond the curry base is the fact that almost every recipe calls for a tart apple.  I love curry and apples!

Mulligatawny Stew
Adapted from: 1001 Low-carb Recipes by Dana Carpender, pg 190
  • 2 quarts chicken stock (I used homemade)
  • 2 cups shredded chicken (leftover rotissierie)
  • 3 Tbsp olive oil (original recipe calls for butter or ghee)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 3 leeks, sliced
  • 1 small carrot, shredded
  • 2 ribs celery, diced (include leaves)
  • 1 1/2 heaping tbsp curry powder (adjust this to taste)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 tart apple, chopped fine
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 tsp dehydrated lemon zest
  • 1 cup evaporated skimmed milk
Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat.  Add the leeks and sweat until softened.  Add the mushrooms, carrot, celery and curry powder.  Cook until the vegetables are fork tender.

Add stock, chicken, cooked vegetables, bay leaf, apple and seasonings to the crock of a slow cooker.  Cook on HIGH for 2 hours.  Then reduce heat and cook overnight on low.  Just before serving, add the evaporated milk and remove the bay leaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment