Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Party time!

Well, it is summer and time for deck parties.  I have been very remiss this past year keeping up with this blog for many reasons.  The first of which would be the fact that I have not cooked as much as I should be!  Second, it has been a crazy up and down year.  The down is the fact that my husband has been diagnosed with stage 4 prostate cancer.  The up is the living that I am making him do (plus all the traveling for school I've done).  This year, so far, I have been Lisbon, Portugal; Paris, France; Tampa, FL; Boston, MA; and Colorado Springs, CO.  Trips to be taken during the rest of the year: Tampa, FL; Stratford, ON, CA (for the Shakespeare festival); San Antonio, TX; and possibly back to Tampa, FL (to see my g'pa and meet with my colleague).  This along with working full time and all the art stuff I've been working on.  I am so proud of the fact that it seems I am getting a handle on painting and drawing now.  Most proud of this painting drawn and then painted from a picture I took outside Monet's house in Giverny, France:





Oh, and I forgot to mention that I adopted these two rascals:




So, yes, I think I have a few excuses, but I think we are settling down a bit now.  And, of course, the CSA has started for this summer, so it's time to start cooking again.  I got lucky in that the CSA started in time for my first party.  I didn't get pictures of the food, but I will put the recipes up because I used a LOT of what I got from both of my CSAs for this party.

Braised Pork 

For this batch, I used my time-honored braised pork recipe, but mixed up the herbs a bit because of what I had available:


  • 1 3.5 pound pork shoulder roast*
  • 6 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 4 sprigs Thai basil*
  • 1 can chopped green chiles
  • water
  • salt & pepper
Trim the fat on the roast.  Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.  Place in a large Dutch oven.  Add green chiles, thyme and basil.  Pour water over all until halfway up the roast.  Bring to a boil and then cover and reduce heat to simmer for about 3 hours or until the roast reaches an internal temperature of 180 - 190F.  Remove from the Dutch oven and cover with foil.  Allow to cool until able to be handled.  Pull pork, removing most of the fat as you pull.  Serve with BBQ sauce.

Homemade BBQ Sauce

I also prefer to make my own BBQ sauce when I make my pulled pork.  And I always get positive comments when it is all said and done.  Unfortunately, I no longer have my sorghum, so I substituted molasses.  It gave it a darker flavor which I wasn't sure about, but in the end, everyone liked it.  I would like to find sorghum again because it is perfect for my BBQ sauce.

  •  3 cups ketchup
  • 1 cup molasses
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 4 thyme sprigs
Place all ingredients in small saucepan.  Heat until boiling; reduce heat and simmer 1 minute.  Adjust flavors as needed.

 Memphis-style Coleslaw

So, if you are going to serve pulled pork, you need coleslaw, right?  I don't eat it myself (have never liked raw cabbage), but there is always someone who wants cabbage with their BBQ.  And, of course, I had just gotten cabbage from the CSA, so why not, eh?

  • 1/2 medium head green cabbage*, shredded
  • 1 small head radicchio*, shredded
  • 2 carrots*, peeled and grated
  • 2 Cups mayonnaise (I used olive oil mayo)
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 Cup seedy mustard
  • 1/4 Cup cider vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp celery seeds
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Wash and prepare the vegetables and place in a large bowl.  Mix remaining ingredients in a small bowl and then pour 2 cups of dressing over the vegetables and mix well.  Add more dressing as needed.  Allow to marinate in refrigerator a minimum of 3 hours before serving.

Bourbon BBQ Baked Beans

 And of course, since I had BBQ sauce left over and other fresh veggies, I decided to go ahead and make baked beans as well.

  • 4 (15-oz) cans Pinto Beans, drained & rinsed
  • 8 oz bacon*, cooked & crumbled
  • 1 onion, diced & browned
  • 4-6 cloves garlic*, minced and browned
  • 1 large red pepper, diced and sauteed
  • 1 Cup BBQ sauce
  • 1 Cup brown sugar, lightly packed
  • 2 Tbsp molasses
  • 2 Cups homemade chicken broth
  • 1 Cup bourbon (I used Knob Hill)
  • Salt to taste
Drain and rinse beans and place in crock-pot.  Saute the vegetables and add to crock.  Add remaining ingredients.  Mix well.  Cover and cook for 10 hours on LOW or until the beans are the consistency desired and the alcohol has cooked down.

*CSA ingredients. 

No comments:

Post a Comment