Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Houtz Cheese

So, I probably wouldn't have posted this recipe tonight, because I hadn't intended to use any CSA products. I had purchased an eggplant at our local market and I really needed to use it. My husband wanted Pasta al a Norma (a sicilian dish), but it calls for ricotta salata and I don't have any handy.  If you've ever had Pasta al a Norma, you know that it really needs that particular cheese (it has a creamy texture that is unique).  I ran across this recipe which is similar and also calls for ricotta salata or parmesan. Well, I ran out of parmesan. In the last package, we received a wedge of cheese called Houtz.  It is a hard goat cheese that apparently is only made locally (at least that's all I could find when I Googled it).  I decided to open and taste it...Leland, if you are reading this, you should do the same!.  It turned out be a very nice sharp dry cheese.  Very similar to parmesan.  So, I substituted it in the recipe that follows:

Penne with Spicy Eggplant and Tomato Sauce
http://www.cookingclub.com/recipes/articletype/articleview/articleid/6891/penne-with-spicy-eggplant-tomato-sauce
  • 12 oz. (3 cups) penne (tube-shaped pasta)
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium eggplant, cubed (1 inch) (4 cups)
  • 1 1/2 cups purchased puttanesca pasta sauce (I used roasted garlic with kalamatas added)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1/4 cup (1 oz.) finely grated ricotta salata or Parmesan cheese (I used Houtz*)
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or basil (optional)
1. Cook penne in large pot of boiling water according to package directions; drain.

2. Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add eggplant; cook, stirring frequently, 8 minutes or until well-browned. (Reduce heat to medium after 3 to 5 minutes to prevent overbrowning.) Add pasta sauce, salt and red pepper. Reduce heat to medium; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until hot. Place in large bowl. Add pasta; toss to combine. Sprinkle with cheese and oregano.


*CSA ingredient

No comments:

Post a Comment