Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Tomato Tart

Someone mentioned to me while we were standing in line that he had tried a tomato pie with the last batch of heirloom tomatoes.  He said he was surprised how good it was.  It got me thinking of a tomato pie that I used to make back years ago when I was in Weight Watchers.  I am still looking for that recipe. 

Since I haven't been able to find that recipe, I opted for this recipe which I adapted from a Prevention recipe:

Tomato Tart
http://www.prevention.com/health/cook/everyday-recipes/healthy-tomato-recipes-use-tomatoes-in-salads-pasta-and-more/article/802332b345181310VgnVCM10000030281eac

Makes 6 servings (6 slices)
  • 1 refrigerated pie crust
  • 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
  • 1/4 cup feta cheese
  • 3/4 lb roma tomatoes
  • 1 large egg
1 HEAT oven to 425°F with rack in center position.
2 UNFOLD dough and roll into a 13" circle. Transfer to baking sheet. Mix cheeses together and spread over crust, leaving a 1 1/2" border. Distribute pesto and tomatoes evenly on top. Fold edges of dough over tomatoes, leaving center exposed. Brush top of dough with egg.
3 BAKE until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve.

*CSA ingredients
Notes: I used a store-bought pie crust for this recipe, but you could easily make your own pie crust.  Also, I would imagine this tart would be even better with heirloom tomatoes, but I only had Romas remaining.  The original recipe also called for pesto.  I did not have any, but I would imagine you could also chiffonade fresh basil and sprinkle if over the tart before baking and it would give the same flavor.  However, the feta give a nice flavor by itself, so I didn't miss it much.
Directions

No comments:

Post a Comment