Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Tortilla Soup

A friend of mine made a request for good slow-cooker recipes when I mentioned that I never put mine away.  It made me look back in my files and reminded me of one of my favorite recipes.  I had searched recipes for leftover chicken and found this recipe years ago.  I, of course, can't follow the recipe as it's written, so here's my adaptation:

Amy's Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
Adapted from http://www.a-crock-cook.com/amys-crock-pot-chicken-tortilla-soup.html
  • 1 lb roasted chicken breasts*
  • 3 cobs of corn*
  • 2 15-oz cans black beans
  • 2 cups tomato sauce
  • 1 can Rotel tomatoes w/ green chiles
  • 1 cup salsa*
  • 2 med hot peppers*
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 Tbsp ground cumin
Cut kernals from corn cobs.  Finely dice hot peppers.  Mix all ingredients in crockpot.  Cook on HIGH 2-4 hours or on LOW 6-8 hours.  Serve with crushed tortilla chips and 2 Tbsp sharp cheddar.

*CSA ingredients

Notes: It never fails to amaze me that just changing the salsa that you use for this soup can change the flavor completely.  However, this is probably the best, most reliable recipe for tortilla soup that I have found.  Using fresh, free-range chicken, fresh corn and fresh peppers made it even better!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment