Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Carbonara (Low-carb)

I know it's been a really long time since I posted a recipe. It's been a crazy few months! I haven't actually been doing much cooking. But now that my life is straightening out I'll try to get on here more often. Tonight, I needed to use a spaghetti squash (my now favorite pasta substitute). I was thinking tetrazzi but it took to long for me to figure out the recipe, so I settled for carbonara. (yeah, right, settled). I am a purist when it comes to carbonara. I does NOT have cream in it. It is a hunter's dish and dairy wouldn't survive hunts. So, be aware that it has slightly undercooked eggs in it and that is always a risk. (there's my disclaimer) But I've been making similar versions for decades and never had a problem. You may choose to cook it longer, but know it will resemble scrambled eggs if you do, instead of a nice creamed sauce.

 Spaghetti Squash Carbonara
  •  4 slices thick-cut bacon*
  •  8 oz sliced porcini mushrooms 
  •  1 cup frozen peas
  •  1 medium spaghetti squash*, cooked
  •  1 medium onion*, diced
  •  2 cloves garlic*, minced
  • 3 eggs*
  • salt and pepper
  • 1/2cup parmesan, shredded
Cook bacon in skillet until crispy. Remove bacon, cool, and break into bite-sized pieces. Add mushrooms, onions and garlic to bacon fat. Cook until onions and mushrooms are soft. Add spaghetti squash and heat through. whip eggs with salt and pepper; add parmesan. Remove vegetables from burner. Pour eggs over vegetables and mix well. Place over low heat and cook, stirring, until parmesan is melted. Serve with additional parmesan.

*CSA ingredients 

No comments:

Post a Comment