Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 8, 2013

First Chili of the Season

It has been somewhere between 13 and 25 degrees for the past couple days, so I got a taste for chili.  I had to sing this morning at church and then we had our last class for our India students, so I wasn't able to make it until after I got done with all of that.  On the way home from school, I stopped at Jack's and picked up a sweet onion and 2 lbs of ground round.  From that, I used what I had in my pantry and put together a 2-bean chili.  Since I roasted a spaghetti squash last night, I decided to serve it Cincinnati-style in the only way that I can eat it these days (pasta and I are not friends anymore).

2-Bean "Cincinnati" Chili
  • 2 lbs ground round
  • 1/2 large onion, diced
  • 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 cans Rotel tomatoes with chiles
  • 1 (28-oz) can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 cups fresh sweet corn
  • 1 Tbsp chili powder
  • 1 Tbsp cumin
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne powder
  • Roasted spaghetti squash
  • cheddar cheese
 Heat EVOO in a heavy Dutch oven.  Add onions and saute until they start turning translucent; add ground round and cook until meat is no longer pink.  Add next 9 ingredients, bring to a boil.  cover and lower heat until simmering.  Simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Heat squash, spoon chili over squash and sprinkle with cheese.


No comments:

Post a Comment