Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Strata

Last night, as I was trying to decide what to do with a bag of frozen broccoli florets, I came across a strata recipe.  I had a half a loaf of Spatz bread that I needed to use up and some chicken sausage links.  I decided to adapt the recipe and make a Broccoli Sausage strata.  Of course, because of the size, much of it will travel with me to Troy tomorrow for my husband to enjoy.  But I get to enjoy some myself!

Broccoli Sausage Strata
Adapted from: http://culinarilycourtney.blogspot.com/2012/01/broccoli-and-bacon-strata.html
  • 6 slices dry Spatz bread 
  • 1 16-oz bag frozen broccoli florets
  • 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup colby jack cheese
  • 3 links chicken sausage (I used Aidells Roasted garlic & Gruyere cheese smoked chicken sausage)
  • 7 eggs
  • 3 1/2 cups 1% milk
  • salt, garlic powder, onion powder and fresh ground pepper, to taste
Grease a small roasting pan (or 9" x 13" x 2" pan).  Place broccoli florets in a steamer and steam in microwave for 6 minutes.  Drain broccoli and set aside.

Cut bread into 1-inch cubes and place in pan.  Sprinkle with half the cheeses.  Cut sausage links into 1/4-inch rounds; sprinkle sausage and broccoli florets over bread. 

Whip eggs with milk and seasonings.  Pour over fillings; sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours (or overnight).

Allow pan to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.  Bake at 350F for 50-55 minutes, until a knife inserted near center comes out clean.


No comments:

Post a Comment