Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 24, 2014

3 Bean Baked Beans

It's Memorial Day weekend.  A weekend to thank those who have defended our freedome.  I have many friends and relatives who have served and fought in the military, army, navy, marines AND air force.  I have heard the stories from those who were in WWII, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan. I am grateful every day for what they have sacrificed so I can have the life I have today.

To celebrate, we will be cooking out on Monday.  At the farmers market today, I picked up some spicy Italian brats and some asparagus that I plan to grill.  And right now, I am making some baked beans to go along with it.  I don't make homemade baked beans often, so I don't have a standard recipe. I do know that I have always liked my mom's baked beans, but they are in Minnesota at my niece, Katie's, college graduation.  So, I turned to my friends and asked them to give me their best baked bean recipes.  It turns out that one of my friends posted the same recipe that my mom uses.  It is credited to Pat Lyle, a close family friend.  I didn't follow it exactly, but used it as a basis for my beans.  I like to mix bean types and decided to go with pinto beans, great northern beans and black beans for this batch.

3 Bean Baked Beans
  • 1 can pinto beans with jalapenos
  • 1 can great northern beans, drained & rinsed
  • 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil 
  • 6 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • 1/2 lg Vidalia onion, chopped
  • 3 small mixed sweet peppers, chopped
  • 1 bunch ramp bulbs*, thinly sliced
  • 2 tsp roasted garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
  • 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
 Heat olive oil in a frying pan.  Add onions, peppers and ramp bulbs and cook, stirring until onions begin to turn translucent, about 5 minutes.  Add garlic, cook and stir about 1 minute until fragrant. Mix all ingredients in a large baking pan.  Bake in a preheated 350F oven, stirring occassionally, for 1 hour or until cooked.



*Farmers market items

No comments:

Post a Comment