Total Pageviews

Monday, June 2, 2014

Fresh Michigan Asparagus!

Okay, I managed to procrastinate on the last quiche I made.  This one was so very different from the ramp and spinach one.  We have been able to get Michigan asparagus for a couple weeks at the farmers market, so I figured that a quiche with asparagus, caramelized onions and feta cheese might be good.  What I will say about this particular quiche is that I would change a couple things, but I am presenting the recipe as I made it.

Asparagus Feta Quiche
  • 6 large farm-fresh eggs*
  • 1 1/2 cups 1% milk
  • 1 Tbsp salted butter
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 large Vidalia onion, sliced thin
  • 1 bunch asparagus*, trimmed and cut into 1" pieces
  • 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
  • salt, pepper, garlic powder and dried basil, to taste
Beat eggs and milk with seasonings until well blended; set aside.  Heat butter and olive oil in large skillet over med-high heat.  Add onions, stir to coat with butter/oil; cook until the onions begin to brown, stirring occassionally.  Turn heat down to low and continue to cook onions, stirring frequently, until onions are golden brown (caramelized); set aside.  Add asparagus to pan and cook over medium heat, stirring occassionally, until bright green.  Mix asparagus and onions in bottom of prepared 9" round baking pan.  Sprinkle with feta cheese.  Carefully pour eggs over filling.  Bake in preheated 350F oven for 40 minutes or until knife inserted into center comes out clean.  Allow to set 5 minutes before serving.






*CSA and Farmer's Market ingredients

Notes: There are two things I would change about this quiche.  1) I would use a whole onion.  While the onions were good, there weren't enough.  2) I would go back to steaming the asparagus before adding to the quiche.  There were some pieces of asparagus that were just a little crunchy for my taste.  It's not that they weren't cooked, they just were a little too al dente.

No comments:

Post a Comment