Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Bread & Butter Pickles

They had some beautiful pickle cukes at the Saginaw farmers market this week, so I bought some with the intention of making refrigerator pickles.  As I was looking in my cupboard for vinegar, I realized I only had cider vinegar, which they don't recommend for regular pickles because it can discolor the pickles.  So, I searched refrigerator pickle recipes using cider vinegar and was reminded that I love bread and butter pickles, but had never tried to make them.  Thus, the recipe today.  As I was looking through my spice stash, I realized that while I did have mustard seed, I didn't have celery seed.  I did, however, have cumin seed and decided to see what would happen if I substituted.  I chose to use about half the amount and now that they have marinated some, I am glad I made that decision.  While it doesn't taste bad, it is different, and it could have been a little overwhelming.

Refrigerator Bread & Butter Pickles
  • 8 pickle cucumbers**
  • 1 medium candy onion**
  • 1 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 1.5 tsp yellow mustard seed
  • 1/4 tsp cumin seed (recipe recommended celery seed)
  • 1/8 tsp tumeric
Wash and thinly slice cucumbers.  Thinly slice onion and mix with cucumbers.  Mix remaining ingredients in medium bowl until sugar is dissolved.  Pour over vegetables and mix well.  Refrigerate stirring once a day for about 10 days.  Will keep in refrigerator for about a month.


**Farmers market ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment