Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 4, 2015

Corn Tortillas and Eggs

I had made some pulled pork this week and wanted to make something different for breakfast this morning.  Since I also had some corn tortillas, I decided to make a chilaquilles casserole.  I fell in love with chilaquilles when I was in Cleveland.  We frequently received whole chickens from the CSA and I needed to find a new way to use the leftovers.  I love corn tortillas and they are so much easier on my stomach, so I tend to have them in my fridge.  Finding different ways to enjoy them is something I try to do every once in a while.

Since this was a first try, I kept it pretty simple.  I think I would use a sharper cheese (I have a beautiful aged gouda in the fridge that I should have shredded or I should have used my extra sharp cheddar).  It's not bad, but the cheese is more a supporting player than star in this recipe.  Not that it's bad, I just like to be able to taste all the flavors.  I also might consider adding some black beans and cook the pork southwest style instead of bbq.  But then it would be a completely different recipe, right?  That is why I love egg casseroles.  They are so versatile.

Pulled Pork Chilaquilles Casserole
  • 6 corn tortillas
  • 2 cups pulled pork (whatever your favorite recipe is)
  • 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar
  • 5 large eggs
  • 1 1/4 cups 1% milk
  • salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 350F.  Cut tortillas into 1 inch strips.  Layer half of the strips in a prepared casserole.  Layer on half of the pork and cheddar.  Repeat layers.  Beat eggs with salt & pepper until smooth.  Beat in milk and continue beating until completely smooth.  Carefully pour eggs over fillings.  Bake for 35 minutes or until knife inserted into center comes out clean.  Allow to set for 5 minutes before serving.




No comments:

Post a Comment