Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Ramp Pesto

I ventured down to the farmers market this morning in 40-something weather.  Not my idea of great weather to be wandering around an outdoor farmers market.  However, it was WELL worth the trip!  At the second to last stand I stopped at, I found ramps!  Oh Yeah!  If you've been following me all these years, you know that I adore ramps.  And today, they put and extra bunch in my bag as I checked out.  So, I decided to make pesto with the extra batch.  I make basil pesto and garlic scape pesto every year, but I have never made it with ramps before because I generally only have enough to make whatever dish I planned.  Well, now that I've made a batch, I will probably make it every year now.  Out of the three versions, this ramp pesto is my favorite! 



Ramp Pesto
  • 1 bunch of ramps* (leaves and stems only - about 10)
  • 1 cup baby spinach
  • 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
  • 1-2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • Extra virgin olive oil, as needed
Wash and dry ramps and baby spinach.  Cut ramp leaves and stems into 1-inch pieces.  Add ramps, spinach, parmesan and walnuts to food processor.  Plus until small pieces.  Switch to puree; add lemon juice and then slowly add olive oil until pesto is desired consistency.  Taste to adjust seasoning (you may add salt and pepper if you desire, or more lemon juice).  Store in the refrigerator for 3-5 days or freeze up to 30 days.  Best flavor if warmed.





*Farmers market ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment