Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 2, 2015

Soft taco shells

One of the problems that cones with weight loss surgery is the fact that carbs, which expand after you eat them, take too much room in your stomach, making you uncomfortable and not leaving enough room for the protein you need to eat. I have found that I can substitute for pasta and rice. Spaghetti squash or spiralized vegetables make great substitutes for spaghetti. Quinoa is the best replacement for rice. But I continue to want things like tacos and manicotti. The trouble is, even corn tortillas can be a bit of trouble (although they are better than flour tortillas). As I was searching for recipes yesterday, I found a recipe for Zucchini "soft" taco shells. Since I had a couple summer squash left over, I decided to give them a try this morning. I mean, I see these recipes for cauliflower pizza crust, etc. all the time. But ricing  the cauliflower just seems like work to me. Shredding squash, on the other hand is relatively easy. Well, the turned out fabulous! I will definitely be doing this again!

Zucchini "Soft" Taco Shells

Adapted from: whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/zucchini-soft-taco-shells/

4 cups zucchini*, coarsely grated
1 large egg*
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 Cup Panko bread crumbs
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground cumin

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Remove as much moisture from the zucchini as possible. Mix in remaining ingredients. Cover baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop about 1/4 Cup mixture onto parchment and press into a thin circle, about 5" wide.  Repeat for remainder of mixture. Bake about 20 minutes or until shells look "crisp" and brown around the edges. After the shells have cooled, peel them from the parchment.

No comments:

Post a Comment