Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Home Canned Tomatoes

So, last week, I canned tomatoes for the first time in probably 2 decades.  I tried to can 6 quarts.  Five worked beautifully and one failed spectacularly.  So, this week, I needed to use that quart.  I decided that since I have a really nice looking spaghetti squash, I would make a ragu.  This one with sausage and cannellini beans.  I started it in a skillet and then transferred it to my crockpot to cook while I was out shopping with John.  Love having things like this cooking in the crockpot because it makes the house smell heavenly!

Sausage, White Bean and Tomato Ragu
  • 12 oz sweet Italian sausage**
  • 1 large onion*, diced
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp tomato paste
  • 3 cloves roasted garlic, minced
  • 1 cup chianti
  • 3/4 cup chicken stock
  • 1 quart tomatoes*, undrained
  • 2 (15-oz) cans cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
  • 1 Tbsp dried Italian seasoning
  • Salt & Pepper, to taste
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add sausage and cook, breaking up, for about 3 minutes.  Remove sausage from skillet and set aside.  Add olive oil to pan and then saute onions about 3 minutes.  Add tomato paste and garlic; cook for about 1 minute.  Add wine to pan to deglaze; make sure to scrape the brown bits from the pan.  Add the rest of the ingredients.  Pour all into a crockpot and cook, covered, on LOW for 4-5 hours.  Then open lid and allow to cook for 2 more hours to thicken.  Serve over pasta, rice or spaghetti squash.






*Farmers market ingredients
**CSA ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment