Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Roasting away!

Tonight's fun was roasting a chicken in the oven.  The fun part of this is that I have never actually done this before.  I am so fond of my crockpot, I have always roasted my chickens either in that or on the grill (indirect heat).  So, I looked up a recipe on Saveur.com and adapted it by what I had available.

Oven Roasted Chicken
  • 1 4.5-5 lb free-range whole chicken*
  • 1 honey tangerine
  • 3 cloves roasted garlic
  • 1 stick fresh butter, room temperature*
  • 4-5 sprigs fresh thyme
  • salt & pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 450F.  Spread butter over entire chicken with your hands.  Salt & pepper to taste.  Place chicken in a roaster.  Cut tangerine in half, squeeze juice over chicken, then place tangerine halves in chicken cavity along with thyme sprigs and roasted garlic.  Roast for 10-15 minutes; baste and lower oven temp to 375F.  Roast 30-45 minutes, basting 2-3 times until skin is brown and crispy.  Thermometer inserted into thigh should read 165F.  Turn oven off, crack door and allow chicken to rest 15 minutes before cutting and serving.


*CSA ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment