Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Eggplant and Cauliflower

Today, I decided to finally test out an Indian-spiced recipe. This week in the share, we received a very large head if cauliflower and another late eggplant. I have been set up with Indian spices for quite a while. I just haven't had what I felt was the proper combination of vegetables to make a dish. I don't think I've ever mentioned that I prefer vegetarian Indian food. I ran across what looked like a beautiful recipe for Indian Spiced Eggplant and Cauliflower. Sounded good to me, so here's my version.

Indian-Spiced Eggplant & Cauliflower Stew
    • 2 tablespoons curry powder
    • 1 teaspoon garam masala
    • 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
    • 2 tablespoons canola oil
    • 1 large onion, sliced*
    • 2 cloves garlic, minced*
    • 1 teaspoon finely ginger paste
    • 3/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1 1-pound eggplant, cut into 1-inch chunks*
    • 3 cups cauliflower florets*
    • 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
    • 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
    • 1/2 cup water
    • 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt, (optional)
  1. Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add curry powder, garam masala and mustard seeds and toast, stirring, until the spices begin to darken, about 1 minute. Transfer to a small bowl.
  2. Add oil, onion, garlic, ginger and salt to the pot and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in eggplant, cauliflower, tomatoes, chickpeas, water and the reserved spices. Bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Top each serving with a dollop of yogurt, if desired.
*CSA Ingredients
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

1 comment:

  1. Yup, I'm cooking up late season eggplant, too. Just found you here after a google search. Love this blog and will certainly be back! Thanks for the recipe. Here's mine for roasted eggplant if you're "in abundance!" :-)

    http://tinyurl.com/63h4uqy

    ReplyDelete