Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Late Season Eggplant!

We received a very nice eggplant this week in our shares. I wanted something quick to put together with the eggplant and we did not get tomatoes or summer squashes, so I was having trouble figuring out what to make.  As I was cooking the squash stew earlier, I ran across some fire roasted tomatoes and peppers that were I purchased a couple weeks ago when I picked up my share.  I remembered running across a recipe earlier in the day that had called for eggplant and cherry tomatoes.  As I looked at the jar of roasted tomatoes, I thought why not?  I bet this would make a delicious sauce!

Eggplant with Roasted Tomatoes and Peppers
  • 1 large eggplant, diced into 1/2" pieces*
  • salt
  • 3 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced*
  • 1 jar fire roasted cherry tomatoes*
  • 1/2 cup fire roasted red peppers, diced*
  • 3/4 cup water
Dice eggplant, sprinkle with salt and allow to drain in a collander for 30 minutes.  Squeeze excess liquid from eggplant.  Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet, add eggplant, garlic and oregano.  Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.  Add tomatoes, peppers and water, bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered, until the eggplant is very soft.  Serve over pasta with shredded mozzarella.


*CSA ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment