Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Watermelon Radishes

This week we had a choice between braising greens and something called watermelon radishes.  Since I have gotten 5 bags of braising greens in the last few weeks, and I have never even heard of watermelon radishes, I decided to get them.  Watermelon radishes are related to daikon radishes and horseradish.  They are bulbous and about 2-3 times larger than the red radishes that you are used to seeing.  They have white skin, but when you cut them open, you get a surprise.  They are almost hot pink inside.  I opted to bring them to my husband to include in his lunches because I have had reactions to raw radishes.  But they can be pickled (like beets) or cooked (like turnips).  John took a bite and said they sweeter than normal radishes and he is very excited to have them for lunch today.

No comments:

Post a Comment