Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Squash Soup

Now that my music obligations are complete, its time for me to get back to some cooking. I received butternut and buttercup squash in the last share. I had located a recipe for slow-cooker squash and broccoli soup I thought I'd try. I cut up the squash and an onion and put them in the cooker, but when I opened the bag of broccoli florets, they were clearly spoiled. While this was disappointing to me, I moved onto plan B.

Curried Butternut Squash Apple Soup
  • 2 small butternut squash*, peeled and cubed
  • 2 large granny smith apples*, peeled and cubed
  •  1 large onion*, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic*, minced
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1 cup apple cider*
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 Tbsp curry powder
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • salt and pepper, to taste
Place all ingredients into crock of slow-cooker. Cover and cook 4-5 hours on HIGH or 6-8 hours on LOW, or until vegetables are soft. Cool slightly then blend with an immersion blender or countertop blender until smooth. If you like, add a little cream or plain yogurt before serving. Garnish with diced apples or pears.



*CSA ingredients

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Remind me to share my 3 squash & chicken & sausage & kale soup recipe with you. --lmh

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is almost the recipe that I use and it is wildly popular!

    ReplyDelete