Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Quinoa Chili

There is nothing that says comfort better than a nice hot bowl of chili! Especially on a cold, snowy winter day. Oh yeah, and it also happens to be Super Bowl Sunday! Chili is essential Super Bowl food, right? The other thing I like about chili is that it can be a "pot-luck" meal. Yes, it is one of my favorite ways to use up things in my refrigerator. Today, Iam using up leftover quinoa and the pulled pork chops from the other night. We also got corn and tomatoes frozen from the summer in this week's share, as well as some young garlic shoots. I put all of this together with more traditional chili ingredients in my Crockpot last night and woke to an apt fullof wonderful chili smells! Of course, the big debate is always beans or no beans? Well, Iam a big beans in chili girl, but I really think this chili is hearty enough that I wouldn't miss the beans of they weren't there. However, since protein is my focus, I added the beans. Make it however you like it best!

 Slow-Cooker Pork Quinoa Chili
  • 2 cups cooked quinoa
  • 2 cups leftover Parmesan Honey Pork Chops*, shredded
  • 2 cans Rotel (R) tomatoes with chiles
  • 2 cups frozen tomatoes*
  • 2 cups frozen corn*
  • 2 cups cooked black turtle beans* 
  • 1 can pinto beans, drained
  • 1 Tbsp Chili powder
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 6 garlic shoots*, sliced thin 
  • 1 medium onion*, diced 
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
Heat oil over medium-high heat in a medium skillet. Add garlic and onions; cook until translucent. Add all ingredients to slow-cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours. Serve with cheese and onions, if desired.






*CSA ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment