Total Pageviews

Monday, May 20, 2013

The Run

Yep, Saturday morning, I got up bright and early and went with my husband to the Dow Run/Walk in my hometown of Midland, MI.  He ran the 10K (with his best time yet) and I then did my first race in 3 years.  I participated in the 1-mile run (which was more like a run/walk for me).  According to John, my time was 19:13, which is almost 10 minutes faster than the last race I did.  The only bummer part of the set-up is that even though they now allow adults to run this race, it's still treated as a kids race and the adults are not timed.  That's a bummer because it really makes me feel like a second class citizen.  This is a typical set-up for races.  They include a 1-mile race, but they don't time it.  It's not the first time I've been faced with this situation.  And I have to wonder why they feel it's not important to include those of us who are unable to complete longer races.

I have no cartilage in my knees.  AND I am only a year out from my gastric surgery  (about 145 lbs down).  So, why would they believe that I would physically be able to run further than I did this past weekend?  I actually am not sure that I should be running at all because the impact could just be doing damage.  But my current orthopaedic doctor seems to believe it you can do it, you should.  I guess I will get a definitive answer when I move to Midland and find a new doctor.  At any rate, I feel really good about what I did because I couldn't run at all before (heck, a year ago, I could walk with out aid).   So, this becomes my latest milestone.  There is another race at the end of June in Cleveland.  I will at least get a shirt for this one (I didn't even get a shirt for running in the Dow run/walk).  And it's time for me to actually get out there and start training to run!

No comments:

Post a Comment