Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Beef, White Bean, Quinoa Stew

After a couple weeks in India, I had a taste for beef.  I had bought a pound of stew beef from Jack's before leaving for India and put it in my freezer.  I wasn't quite in the mood for traditional stew, so I looked around for other ideas.  I ran across a recipe for Beef and White Bean Stew but decided that I needed some additional protein and carbs in the recipe, so I added some quinoa.  It turned out to be a very nice, comforting stew.

Beef, White Bean and Quinoa Stew
  • 1 lb Stew Beef
  • 1 med onion, chopped
  • 2 carrots, sliced
  • 1 28-oz can petite diced tomatoes
  • 2 15-oz cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 cups sweet corn
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 1/2 cups beef stock
  • 2 tsp dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 1 cup dried quinoa (I used a mix of red and white)
  • 2 cups water
Place all ingredients, except quinoa and water into bowl of slow cooker.  Cook, covered, for 4 hours on HIGH.  While the stew is cooking, boil water.  Add quinoa, stir and then cook, covered, for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed.  Season slightly with salt (but remember that you have seasoned the stew as well).  Stir quinoa into stew and cook for 15-20 minutes for flavors to combine.


No comments:

Post a Comment