Total Pageviews

Monday, January 27, 2014

Split Pea Soup

It has been a long cold weekend.  My brother passed this weekend and I spent most of the weekend in his house.  While there, I found that he had half of a smoked pork shoulder in his refrigerator.  And if there was one thing that everyone will tell you, he was a great cook.  I took it home both because I didn't want it to go to waste and because it was one last chance to have his cooking.  A friend posted that he was making split pea soup, which is usually made with ham or a ham hock.  I thought, what better way to use this pork shoulder, so this morning, I put together a split pea soup in the crockpot using the shoulder.  I just tasted it and it is so very lovely!  A fitting tribute to my brother who I miss so much!

Smoked Pork Split Pea Soup
  • 2 cups smoked pork shoulder, diced to 1/2' cubes
  • 16 oz yellow split peas, rinsed and sorted
  • 1 cup chopped carrots
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tsp tumeric
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 6 cups good chicken stock
Layer all ingredients into the bowl of a crockpot in the order given, ending with the chicken stock.  Cook, covered, on High for 4-5 hours, or until the peas and carrots are cooked.  Remove the bay leaf before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment