Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Chard, Ramps & Sun-dried Tomatoes

I  picked up Swiss chard and ramps this past weekend at the farmers market.  I knew I wanted to use them in this week's quiche, but wasn't sure what else I wanted to include.  I went to the local bulk foods store, Beyond Measure, to get some almond flour and I noticed they had sun-dried tomatoes.  It's been a long time since I've had those, so I bought a small container.  I also had some thick-cut bacon and the remaining feta cheese from last week's quiche.  So, this week's quiche is a summer vegetable quiche with bacon.  I love to use young spinach or chard because you can put it into the quiche fresh and it cooks perfectly.  Saves a lot of time and tends to taste a lot fresher.

Chard & Ramp Quiche with Sun-dried Tomatoes
  • 1 small bunch young Swiss Chard*, chopped
  • 1 small bunch ramp leaves*, chopped
  • 8 sun-dried tomatoes**, chopped
  • 6 slices thick-sliced bacon, chopped
  • 2 oz feta cheese crumbled
  • 4 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 6 farm fresh eggs+
  • 1 1/2 cups 1/2% milk
  • salt, pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning; to taste
Wash the greens and chop into bite-sized pieces.  Roughly chop the sun-dried tomatoes.  Cook the bacon in the microwave, 3 slices at a time, between double layers of paper towels for 3 minutes.  Allow to cool and then chop into bite-sized pieces.  Mix all of these ingredients and place in a prepared baking pan.  Sprinkle with cheeses.  In a medium bowl, beat the eggs until smooth.  Add seasonings and milk and beat until well mixed.  Carefully pour over fillings.  Bake in a 350F oven for 45 minutes or until a knife, inserted into the center, comes out clean. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.







*Farmers market ingrdients
**From Beyond Measure bulk foods store
+CSA ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment