Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Things To Look Forward To!

So the "fun" things included in our share this week will include garlic scapes, Russian Red Kale and pea tendrils.  I have missed the garlic scapes since I used up the pesto I made last year.  I remember that we got scapes for several weeks last year, so I will take the first batch to make another batch of pesto.  I used it in eggs and to roast a chicken last year.  I am thinking it might be good on salmon and other meaty fish as well.  I can't wait to be able to test these theories out.

My coumadin levels were high this week when I checked in with the anticoagulation clinic, which was a little disconcerting.  I am wondering if the Russian Red kale has as high of levels of Vitamin K as the green variety.  I will have to check that out.  I have missed kale all winter.  Buying winter kale that is imported just isn't the same as the fresh tender kale we get from the CSA.  I am going to make myself a quinoa salad with the kale since that seems the perfect way to cook it and gives me a fairly good protein source. The pea tendrils will serve as garnish.

I haven't reported much on my gastric sleeve stuff and I am truly contrite about that.  Not much has happened other than losing weight and getting stronger.  As I mentioned above, my coumadin levels were high this week.  They seemed surprised, but it was creeping up the last time I went in (up to 2.7 from two meetings at 2.5).  Since it had been 3 weeks since I had had it checked, I have to wonder if the dose is too high.  I cannot eat a full serving of greens in one sitting, so I can't be very sure that I am eating 2 full servings in a week.  They told me that they would leave the dosage for another week and have me come back to check again.  We are coming into the home stretch anyway, so I hope we keep it under enough control that I don't have a problem before then.  I make the appointment for a second ultrasound at the beginning of July.  I am excited that this has gone so quickly and look forward to being off the coumadin so I can have my chamomile and grapefruit again!

Now to the update.  I am now officially 60 pounds down.  I have had an ongoing frustration that most of this weight has come off the upper part of my body.  However, I am seeing things that indicate that I am losing down below.  For instance: when I went to a movie this weekend, I not only didn't touch the sides of the seat  when seated straight.  But even better, when I turned in the seat to give my legs more room (I hate stadium seating), I still had room in the seat.  It was a great feeling.  Below is a picture of my progress.  I find I have to do this because I, personally, don't see the changes.  It's very validating!


No comments:

Post a Comment