Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Pancakes

I was searching online last night for low carb ideas for breakfast using Pinterest.  It's been a while since I have spent any time on Pinterest and I forgot how addicting it can be.  I had clicked on an egg muffin picture that I have seen many times before, but that wasn't quite what I wanted.  So, I went back and looked again.  I found a recipe that sounded interesting, so I went to the page and left it open for this morning. When you've had bariatric surgery, you eventually have to come to the realization that you just cannot eat cabs the way you used to.  There are several reasons for this, but the biggest reason is because when you eat carbs (breads, etc), they expand in your stomach taking up much needed space for proteins and other nutrients.  This recipe offered a way to have pancakes without the carbs.  Made of high protein ingredients (which, by the way, I get frequently from my CSA), these pancakes taste similar to the "real" thing, but without the carbs.  To give myself an extra protein punch (and a little bit of probiotics), I chose to top the pancakes with lemon yogurt.  You can serve them any way you like, with syrup or sugar or any way you enjoy your pancakes (even splurge a little with fruit and whipped cream since you aren't getting carbs with these pancakes).

Cream Cheese Pancakes
Adapted from: http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/cream-cheese-pancakes.html
  • 2 oz cream cheese*
  • 2 large eggs*
  • 1 pkt Splenda (or other no-calorie) sweetener
  • cinnamon (optional)
Place all ingredients into blender.  Blend until smooth.  Heat skillet until water skitters.  Pour 1/4 cup mixture onto skillet.  Cook until edges are dry, turn and cook until browned.  Enjoy pancakes as you normally would.  If you are looking for an added protein punch, serve with flavored Greek yogurt.


*CSA ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment