Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Chorizo and Corn

I have the most amazing smell in my apartment right now! I had thawed a pound of local chorizo this week. I also had six ears of corn I needed to use. So, as I usually do, I  Googled recipes with these ingredients. There are a lot of ideas out there from frittatas to soup. I finally decided on a chorizo and black bean soup made with a beer base. I just happen to have a partial 6-pack of Oktoberfest in the refrigerator and thought that would make an interesting base. I have to say it was interesting starting this today because I am still unpacking my kitchen. It was an adventure going through bags and boxes to find everything I needed. There were some ingredients I didn't have, so , I just increased the corn and added a poblano pepper as a substitute.

 Black Bean Chorizo Soup with Beer
 Adapted from: http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Negra-Modelo-Chorizo-_-Black-Bean-Soup-Recipezaar
  • 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  •  1 lb chorizo*
  •  1 lg onion*, diced
  •  1 red pepper*, diced
  •  1 poblano pepper*, diced
  •  3 cloves garlic *, minced
  •  2 quarts water
  •   36 oz beer (l used Oktoberfest)
  •  4 cups fresh corn kernels *, (from approx. 6 ears corn)
  •  2 (15-oz) cans black beans, with liquid
  • 1 (15-oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
  •  1 1/2 Tbsp ground cumin
  •  1/2 tsp fresh-ground pepper
  •  2 Tbsp lime juice
 Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chorizo and cook, breaking the chorizo up as you cook, until pink.

 
Dice the onion and peppers; mince garlic.






Add vegetables to chorizo; cook until onion is translucent.





Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 2 hours or until vegetables are cooked.





Note: I did not have carrots this time, but I think I would add them if I did to make this even heartier. Because of the bean liquid, I didn't feel this soup needed anymore salt, however, feel free to add salt if you feel it's needed You may also add cayenne if you want more spice.

 *CSA ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment