Total Pageviews

Monday, September 24, 2012

Eggplant

We actually seem to have gotten more eggplant this year than last.  If you have followed my blog, you know that I love ratatouille, however, because of my dietary needs due to gastric surgery, that is no longer a dish that I can enjoy as an entree.  So I have been trying to find ways to use eggplant in dishes that are higher in protein and more appropriate for my dietary needs.

As I was perusing eggplant recipes, there seemed to be a theme of tomato based eggplant stew recipes.  Many with beef, a couple just vegetarian, and even a couple that had chickpeas in them.  The one combination that I DO like is eggplant and lamb.  I have loved moussaka since I was a child, but that type of casserole seems to be difficult for me these days.  However, I did have some ground lamb in my refrigerator and decided to take all of the eggplant stew recipe ideas, but use lamb and garbanzo beans for my protein.  I am happy to say that I was able to share this lovely stew with my mom who had come to visit for the night.  It was kind of neat to have the stew fresh with crostata and boursin cheese on the side and then to be able to send some of the stew home with her so Dad could enjoy some too.  The recipe that became the base of the stew will be referenced below:

Eggplant Stew with Lamb and Garbanzo Beans
Adapted from: http://teriskitchen.com/soups/eggplant-b.html
  • About 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 large onion*, chopped
  • 1 red pepper*, chopped
  • 2 medium rainbow carrots*, chopped
  • 8 oz button mushrooms, coarsely chopped
  • 4 large garlic cloves*, minced
  • 2 medium eggplants* 1/2" dice (I used one purple and one white)
  • 2 cans (28-oz) whole tomatoes in juice, hand-crushed
  • 1 can (28-ounces) crushed tomatoes
  • 2 cups homemade chicken stock*
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon dried marjoram leaves
  • 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
  • 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
  • 1 lb ground lamb, sauteed
  • 1 (15-oz) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
  • Freshly grated Romano cheese
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.  Add onion, pepper and carrots, stir and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.  Add mushrooms and garlic, toss and cook about 2 minutes.  Add eggplant, tomatoes, stock, water and spices.  Heat to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.  Saute lamb in a skillet, drain and add to the stew.  Rinse and drain the garbanzo beans and add to the stew.  Cover and cook about 30 minutes, or until eggplant is cooked through.  Adjust seasoning as needed.  Serve with fresh Romano cheese.



*CSA ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment