Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Vegetable Stock

Today, I decided to try my hand at making vegetable stock. I received 5 ears of com this week and undertook to cut the kernelsfrom the cobs. Ihad read, somewhere, that the stripped cobs can be used to make vegetable stock. I also had some leftoveronion which I chunked up to add to the cobs. When I looked at the rest of my produce stock, I found carrots, radishes, and roasted garlic, as well as a blend of fresh herbs (thyme, sage & rosemary). I decided this blend would make a lovely stock.

 Slow-cooker Vegetable Stock
  •  5 corn cobs*, stripped of kernels
  •  1/3 large sweet onion*, cut in chunks
  •  2 large late carrots*, cleaned and cut in chunks
  •  6 radishes*, cut in half
  •  6 cloves roasted garlic
  •  1 bunch fresh herbs (thyme, sage, rosemary)
  •  kosher salt
  •  Water
 Place all vegetables and herbs into slow-cooker. Add water to cover. Cover and cook 3-4 hours on HIGH. Adjust seasoning. Cook 10-15 minutes longer to blend flavors. Drain stock into a bowl; draining through a sieve or colander. Cool and freeze for later use.






*CSA ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment