Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Christmas Borscht

Once or twice a year, I get a bunch of beets with beautiful greens. The only thing to do with that situation is make a beautiful batch of borscht! I think it's interesti.g that this situation conveniently happens around Christmas. My husband's family is Ukrainian and borscht is traditionally served as part of the Christmas eve dinner (assuming it is made with vegetable stock). As luck would have it, I have a fresh batch of vegetable stock I made frome excess vegetables and the parts you usually throw away (i.e. the big broccoli stem) so, I think this latest batch of beets was destined for a pot of borscht. As I have mentioned before, the type of borscht I make is very simple. Just beets, stems, greens and vegetable stock. I stir in sour cream or plain Greek yogurt before serving. It's simple and lovely!


No comments:

Post a Comment