Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Menopause

About a month before my surgery, I said to a friend "I'm so glad that it looks like I'm finally heading toward menopause (after 10+ years of perimenopause) She said to me "you know, losing all that weight might reverse that." The thought was ALMOST enough to make me change my mind!

I know, really? Well, if you knew the struggle I had trying to get pregnant in my late 30's and my ultimate decision that getting pregnant wasn't worth sacrificing my health, you might understand. When they started treating my for my body's lack of progeterone production, the drug they gave me was giving me symptoms of diabetes. When I checked the journals, it turned out that approximately 20% of women treated with this drug (Prometrium) DO end up with diabetes. The RE didn't know this until I told her. I stopped the drug and the symptoms stopped. That's the closest I have EVER come to a diabetes diagnosis and I didn't think that was fair to a child.

Well, the anxiousness of extending perimenopause due to weightloss, thankfully, seems to be unfounded. In the last year, six of my cycles have been 30 days or longer (with 2 being 34 days!). Only 4 have been 28 days (normal) or less. Leaving 2 at 29 days. I truly am hoping these longer cy les ate heralding the change for me! I'm ready to get off the roller coaster!

No comments:

Post a Comment