Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Bariatric Blog

I know that I have been remiss in blogging anything in the bariatric side of this blog.  Mainly because my weight has been stable for so long now (since March).  With everything in my life that has changed, I feel blessed that I have managed to maintain my weight loss, but now that I am starting to plan for knee surgery next May, I feel like I need to reassess and regroup.  To that end, I would like to talk about things that I can do now that I SHOULDN'T take for granted. 

First, I can stand ever so much longer than I could before.  I still can't just go and stand for an hour or two, like most of my friends can, but that has more to do with my knees than my weight.  When you have no cartilage in your knees, they just start hurting after standing in one place for a long time.

I can, and just did, do my yardwork again.  This is something that was a really uphill battle for me before surgery.  I could work for 5-10 minutes, but then I had to sit down and then getting back up to work again was near impossible.  I just took a whole yard of leaves and pushed them into the road (for pickup this week) in about a half hour and didn't even get winded!  It's a nice feeling to be able to do these things for myself again!  See the before and after pictures below!

This picture was taken at night, but you get the idea!

All pushed into the road!

BTW, for those who are curious, I have lost 140 lbs since having the surgery on March 27, 2012.  I have been maintaining at 220 since March when I started traveling and then moving and starting a new career.  I need to lose about 50 more pounds to get to goal and would love to do so before they start replacing my knees.  I have started with personal training sessions which are helping me feel more comfortable and confident with my movement.  So now I need to figure out that magic formula with the food again so I can get this moving in the right direction again!

No comments:

Post a Comment