Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Changes

I don't think I mentioned on my blog the "difficulty" I had this summer when I drove out to Boston to visit my best friend from grad school.  Because Boston is basically due east of MI, I always drive through Canada to shave time from the trip (it saves almost 3 hours time).  This trip, as I entered Canada, they didn't blink an eye.  However, when I got to the bridge back to the United States in Niagara, I was asked for extra identification.  At first, it didn't occur to me why they would be asking me for additional I.D., but as I turned to hand my drivers' license to the officer, it dawned on me: my passport photos is 6 years old!  Since I had surgery in March of 2012, that photo definitely wouldn't look like me.  The trouble is, my driver's license picture was at least 80lbs heavier as well!  So as I handed my DL to the officer, I said "Oh, yeah, I've lost a LOT of weight!"  His response was "Yes, you have.  Have a nice day."

On the return trip, the same thing occurred, but I was ready this time and had everything available.  It occurred to me that I should probably replace my passport despite the fact that it is still good for another 3 years since I am heading to India on the new year.  I went and picked up an application, but decided to check with the program coordinator before I spent the money and time.  She told me that we have to get a Visa, so it wasn't necessary to replace the passport.  And besides, by that time, I would have my new drivers' license.

Today, I went to get the photos to get my Visa for India and comparing the photo in my passport to the one taken today, it is clear why they felt the need for additional ID on that trip.  It is remarkable how different I look now.  And I never really felt like I put that much weight on my face.  Clearly, I was wrong!



This is how much difference 140 pounds makes!

No comments:

Post a Comment