Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Pumpkin and Chicken

Okay, I am being terribly remiss in posting recipes again.  Today I needed to use a sugar pumpkin and some chicken that I had in my fridge.  While I looked for ideas, I roasted the pumpkin.

Roasted Sugar Pumpkin
  • 1 medium sugar pumpkin
Preheat oven to 400F.  Cut stem end off pumpkin.  Cut pumpkin in half and remove seeds and strings.  Separate the seeds from the strings and rinse; set aside.  Place pumpkin halves, cut side down, on a cookie sheet.  Roast for 30 minutes.  Allow to cool.  Remove flesh from skins and process until smooth in blender.


I looked at several different recipes for pumpkin chicken soups and stews.  In the end, I decided to go with a Chicken Pumpkin Chili that looked similar to Chicken White Bean Chili.  I have always liked that type of chili, but have never actually made it.  And it seemed to be the type of thing you could prepare the ingredients and then cook in a slow cooker.  I have spent part of the summer preparing vegetables and freezing them so that I would have everything on hand and decided to adjust the recipe to include some of my other favorite vegetables.

Chicken Pumpkin Two Bean Chili
Adapted from: http://picky-palate.com/2012/11/26/white-bean-and-turkey-pumpkin-chili/
  • 2 Tbsp canola oil
  • 1 medium Vidalia onion, diced
  • 2 stalks celery, diced
  • 2 medium carrots, diced
  • 1 cup frozen fresh corn
  • 1 cup frozen fresh mixed peppers
  • 1 4oz can green chilis
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 4 cups homemade chicken stock
  • 5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
  • Roasted pumpkin puree from 1 medium sugar pumpkin
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tbsp cumin
Prepare vegetables (onions, celery, carrots).  Heat oil over medium heat.  Add prepared vegetables, plus corn and mixed peppers.  Saute until vegetables are soft.  Add garlic and saute another minute or so until fragrant.  Mix pumpkin puree and chicken stock in crockpot until well blended.  Add vegetables and remaining ingredients.  Cover and cook at HIGH for 1 hour, then reduce heat to LOW and cook 6-8 hours.



No comments:

Post a Comment