Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Spelt Flour

The other nice thing about Fresh Fork Market is that we get grains and flour from local producers as well. I have white wheat flour, cornmeal and spelt flour to choose from. Today I decided it's time to try my hand at yeast bread again. The last time I made yeast bread, I had a breadmaker. Unfortunately, it broke down 2 moves ago, so now I have to make it myself. Fortunately, my brother sold me a Kitchenaid stand mixer about a year ago. I used a recipe for spelt bread that normally be made in a breadmaker, because they are so simple. It's rising for the second time as I write and looks like it may work out just fine, so here's the recipe.

Spelt Bread
  • 1 1/4 cup skim milk*
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 4 cups spelt flour*
  • 2 1/2 tsp yeast
Place all ingredients in large mixer bowl. Mix with dough hook, adding water if necessary, until proper texture. Transfer dough to a greased bowl. Spray with cooking spray and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rise until doubled in a warm place. Preheat oven to 350° F. Punch dough down, form into a loaf and place in greased loaf pan. Allow to rise then bake 30-40 minutes until browned and done. Cool on a rack.


 *CSA ingredients  

No comments:

Post a Comment