Total Pageviews

Monday, February 27, 2012

St. Baldrick's - 11 days!

So the countdown is to 11 days now.  We have official confirmation of the shaving event at the Hospital.  It will take place Friday, March 9, from noon - 3:00.  I can't wait for this special event.  It will be great to have the patients and families involved this year.  It will remind me why I started doing this in the first place.  I don't begrudge A.J. Rocco's their event, but I am not a bar person at the best of times.  But shaving your head in an exceptionally narrow bar in downtown Cleveland ON St. Patrick's Day is not my idea of fun.  I am grateful for the opportunity to have it done in a family-friendly environment again.

So, here are the stats:

-St. Baldrick's is the largest non-government entity giving money to childhood cancer research.
-Last year, they gave over $21 million in research grants
-Since 2005, the annual amount of grants given has gone from over $12 million to over $21 million!
-A.J. Rocco's has been doing shaving events for 10 years.  In those 10 years, they have raised more than $1.5 million for St. Baldrick's (including the side events like ours at the Hospital this year).
-More than $1 million in research grants has been given to Rainbow Babies and Children's Hospital in those 10 years (the Children's Hospital at University Hospitals in Cleveland).
-One of the labs that has benefitted from those grants is our colleague, Dr. Alex Huang's, lab.
-Since I joined the Rainbow Babies & Children's team, we have raised over $40,000 for St. Baldricks.
-I have personally raised over $800 in the three years I have been doing this.

But so much more needs to be done and only you can make the difference.  Even a gift of $1.00 can make a difference.  So, please, give from your heart!

To donate, click the following link: http://www.stbaldricks.org/participants/mypage/516321/2012.  Once there, click on the Make a Donation button under my picture.  That will allow you to make a donation by credit/debit card.  If you prefer to make a cash donation, send me an email at csafoodie@gmail.com.  I can go ahead and make your donation for you and you just send me a check (I am very trusting, so please, do not take advantage of me) or send the payment by PayPal.  Please help us make this an extra special event this year!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment