Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Italian Eggs

As I was refiling emails last night, I came across a recipe idea for Italian eggs. I have this love affair with eggs cooked in sauces and salsas. It started with my brother and has grown as I've experimented over the last year.

This morning, I decided to play with this idea again. Given that I have fresh slow-roasted heirloom tomato sauce, I decided to add Genoa salami and see what we get. This recipe was prepared on stovetop and I am still learning how long you need to cook the egg. Today, it turned out medium. I, personally, prefer a runny yolk, but this was still very tasty.

Italian Egg
Cut salami into thin strips. Heat a small skillet sprayed with cooking spray over medium heat. Cook salami until translucent.  Add sauce and heat, stirring, until warmed through. Reduce heat to low. Make a hole in the center of the sauce with a spoon. Crack egg onto a small plate. Then carefully pour egg into depression so that the yolk and most of the egg are in the hole (some whites may escape). Cover and 4-6 minutes (for medium egg use 6 min), or to desired doneness.













 













*CSA ingredients

1 comment:

  1. hmm this is a new concept to me... sauces & eggs. I'll have to think about it some more before trying it out, it does sound good.
    ~Jenn K

    ReplyDelete