Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Hash, Microwave Style

I am in the middle of moving and up to yesterday didn't have a working stove. I turned out that the gas was shut off. It was turned back on while I was teaching yesterday. So, yesterday morning, I decided to get creative in cooking eggs. I searched the web for creative ways to cook hard-boiled eggs. I didn't have an oven either, so I thought maybe I could use my rice cooker. Believe it or not, it worked!

 Rice Cooker Hard Boiled Eggs
  • 4 farm-fresh eggs*
 Line rice cooker bowl with 3-4 moist paper towels. Place eggs on towels. Cook on white rice setting. Depending how you like your yolks, allow to sit up to 2 minutes when cooking is done. Put eggs in cold water for 5 minutes to stop cooking.

 Note: My husband prefers medium-cooked eggs. I don't think that's exactly possible, but next time I will cool the eggs as soon as the timer goes off.

 For carbohydrates, I decided to cook potatoes in the microwave. We had gotten a bag of small potatoes in the last CSA bag. Here's how I cooked them.

 Microwave Potatoes
  • 4 small potatoes*
  •  salt and pepper, to taste
Large dice the potatoes and place in a microwave-safe cooker. Cover and cook on high 3 minutes. Stir potatoes and cook on high 3 to 5 minutes longer (depending on microwave power). Allow potatoes to sit in closed cooker 2-3 minutes to finish cooking. Check to see if potatoes are fluffy. If not done, cook in intervals of 1 minute until cooked. Be careful to not overcook as potatoes tendto get mushy when overcooked in the microwave.






My husband reminded me late last night that I had a leftover bratwurst in the refrigerator. Since we haven't brought the pan over that I normally use for hard-cooking eggs, I decided to try making hash in the microwave starting with the above microwave potato recipe.

 Microwave Potato Hash

  •  5 small farm-fresh potatoes*
  •  1 green onion bratwurst*, cooked
  • 3 farm-fresh eggs*
  •  salt and pepper, to taste
 Large dice potatoes and place in microwave cooker. Cook on high for 3 minutes. Stir eggs and cook an additional 3-5 minutes. In the meantime, slice cooked bratwurst.  Add the bratwurst to the potatoes and stir to combine.  Careful break eggs on top of mixture. Cook an additional 1 minute per egg. Allow to stand in closed cooker 1-3 minutes to finish cooking.






*CSA ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment