Total Pageviews

Monday, April 22, 2013

The Last Week

This week is the last week that I will be working for Ken Cooke.  It's been an interesting long road, but in the end, I got to where I wanted to be.  I am going to do my best to be productive and positive this week.  As of Friday, I will no longer be in Ken's employ.  And I can get back to trying to make sure that at least my skills and knowledge are passed onto people who can apply it to models that will help the patients I have tried to help over the years. 

This is a very bittersweet moment because I realize that the world of science is losing something that is very hard to come by: a patient researcher.  Most researchers are out there trying to find the cutting-edge thing that will put their names in the history books.  There are very few like me who will stick it out only to find the needed answers to long-term cures and treatments.  Researchers of chronic diseases are few and far between.  I am hoping that in the end, even though they study a very different disease, my new lab situation will benefit from what I know and they will come up with break-throughs that will will ultimately help the patients I was trying to help.  Time will tell and I will long be out of the business before anyone will know.

On the flip side, I am getting such great encouragement from my faculty advisors in the bridge program.  So far, everything that i have done has been very well received and I feel like we have momentum to keep the research going and get studies published.  I am hoping to have time to discuss the experiments with the accounting chair when I go to sign my paperwork in May.  I would love to start contacting firms to get volunteers to do these studies as soon as I start working.  And Mark seems as excited as I am, so I hope that's a good sign!

Okay, I guess I need to get some work done today.  It is so hard to get motivated when the end is so near.  But there is still a lot to do, so I had better get to it!


Not sure what the bright "stuff" is on the left side of the photo ;).  Someone said it's sunlight, but we haven't seen it in so long, I find it hard to believe!  LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment