Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Mediterranean Spaghetti Squash

As I've mentioned before, I really cannot eat pasta anymore. I do, however, like spaghetti squash. As I was going to look for an idea to make this weekend, my sister, Ann Moeller, pinned a recipe that not only looked very yummy, but I thought I had all the ingredients for. So, this morning, I set out to make it. To add needed protein, I added chicken, and I decided to use leeks and ramps (wild leeks) in place of the onions and garlic. Finally, the jar of olives I had were Spanish, not black, but the saltiness nicely balances the sweetness of the squash and leeks. I am guessing the original recipe is fantastic too, but my version was a tasty lunch!

 Mediterranean Spaghetti Squash with Chicken
 Adapted from: http://www.garnishwithlemon.com/2013/01/11/mediterranean-spaghetti-squash/

  • 1 3-4 pound spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 small leeks,cut lengthwise and thinly sliced
  • 1/2 bunch ramp leaves, shredded
  • 2½ cups halved grape tomatoes
  • 2 cups leftover chicken, shredded
  • ¾ cup crumbled feta cheese
  • ½ cup halved Spanish olives
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
  • Salt and pepper
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
  2. Place spaghetti squash cut sides down on the baking sheet. Bake until you can poke a sharp knife into the squash with little resistance, about 35-45 minutes. Remove squash from oven and set aside to cool.
  3. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Swear leeks in oil until tender. Add ramps, and saute for 30 seconds. Stir in the tomatoes and chicken and cook briefly, about 1 minute. You only want to warm the tomatoes.
  4. Use a large fork to shred the “spaghetti” from the squash and place the strands in a large bowl. Toss with the sauteed vegetables, feta cheese, olives, and basil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment