Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 10, 2014

A Little Southern Style Corn

Anybody who knows me knows that I lived in Virginia for 20 years and really did not enjoy living there.  It was too hot, too humid and people were too "in your face".  But I will admit that there are a few "guilty pleasures" that I still have to revisit when I have the ingredients to do so.  And it has been about 20 years since I've had today's recipe.  One of my favorite side dishes I discovered on a trip to Tangier Island.  Corn Pudding!  While there are many, many different versions of baked corn casseroles, there is nothing quite like real, good, old-fashioned, southern corn pudding.  Most corn casserole recipes are more like rich cornbread...many using Jiffy Corn Bread Mix.  Real corn pudding is more like a really rich quiche bursting with fresh corn cut form the cob.  It took me a while, but I figured out how to put together the real thing.

Corn Pudding
  • 3 eggs*
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • 2 cups milk
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 4 cups fresh corn*
  • ½ stick butter
  • 3 heaping tbsp. almond flour
Melt butter in 9x13” baking dish in 350° oven.  Combine eggs, flour and sugar; beat well.  Add milk, corn and salt.  Stir corn mixture to combine and add to melted butter in baking dish.  Bake for 45-60 minutes or until firm.
*CSA ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment