Total Pageviews

Monday, August 11, 2014

Pickle Relish

This week when I went to pick up my CSA, they had some tubs on the side with some very interesting looking cucumbers in them.  As I was looking at them, I was told that they were relish cucumbers.  They were pale green, yellow and a combination of green and yellow.  They also looked more like spaghetti squash than cucumbers.  I have never made relish before, but I thought I would give it a try.  It took me a while to find a relish recipe that could be made and refrigerated rather than having to can it right away.  But I was able to find a sweet relish recipe and decided to give it a try. I didn't have red peppers, but had gotten some lovely green peppers, so I substituted them.

What I didn't know before I found this recipe is that making relish is a two-day process.  So, I had to put it off a day so that I could start it at night and finish in the morning.

Sweet Pickle Relish
  • 3 large relish cucumbers*
  • 1 large green pepper*
  • 2 Tbsp kosher salt
  • 1 cup cider vinegar
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 Tbsp mustard seed
Wash cucumbers and cut into quarters.  Remove the seeds.  Using a food processor, first shred the cukes and then switch blades and process until evenly processed.  Repeat with the green pepper.  Place both into a large bowl and mix in the salt.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.

The next morning, drain the cucumbers through a fine sieve.  Rinse well and press out the water with a spatula.  In a medium sauce pan, combine the vinegar, sugar and mustard seed.  Bring to a boil then add the cucumbers.  Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes stirring a couple times.

Cool and then store in the refrigerator.

 *CSA ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment