Total Pageviews

Monday, February 28, 2011

Chicken and more chicken

It is so hard to keep up with this type of blog when you are always on the road.  Hawaii was beautiful and I loved the food there.  Then last weekend I was in Troy.  Before I left for Troy, I finally took the roasting chicken out of the freezer to thaw, and today, I roasted it in my crockpot.  I made it as simple as you could imagine.  I rinsed the chicken inside and out, dried it with paper towels, placed it in the crockpot and lightly seasoned with salt and pepper.  After covering, I cooked the chicken on HIGH for an hour, then reduced the heat to LOW and let it cook for 9 hours.  Believe me, there is nothing better than returning from home to an apartment that smells like cooking!  Here's how the chicken turned out:

I had a drumstick for dinner and it literally just fell off the bird.  There is definitely something to free-range chickens because this was the tastiest chicken I have had in years despite the limited seasoning!

To use up some of the remaining chicken, I am going to make Pad Thai.

Chicken Pad Thai

2 packages rice noodles
4 cups shredded chicken
1 lg carrot, julliened
1 1/2 cup Pad Thai Sauce

Cook rice noodles according to package directions.  In the meantime, cook the carrots in a microwave steamer for 4 minutes (I cannot have raw carrots due to allergies).  Drain the noodles, return to pan, add chicken and carrots.  Then pour sauce over noodles and mix well.  Serving size 1 1/2 cups.  If available, garnish with chopped peanuts (not included in WW points).

Weight Watchers PlusPoints Value: 11

If I have more chicken leftover, I will just shred it, add some of my leftover BBQ sauce (that I made several weeks ago for the pork shoulder) and make sandwiches.  I am thinking this will make a great lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment