Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Michigan, Lansing CSA programs

It's the beginning of a busy week for me.  Hard to believe that a week from tomorrow I will be flying out to Hawaii to accept a New Investigator Award.  For today, I wanted to follow up on my sister's request for information on CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) programs in the Lansing area.  As I started looking I ran across this website: http://www.csafarms.org/.  This is a site that lists the CSA farms/programs available in Northeast Michigan!  What a great resource!!!

Okay, so here are the programs available in the Lansing area:

Michigan State University Student Student Organic Farm (http://www.msuorganicfarm.com/community-supported-agriculture): This program provides members with CSA packages 48 weeks/year.  There are more than one membership available:
  • Year-Round: must be a summer member first, however, this membership is broken into 4 16-week sessions for $515 (about $32/week) currently
  • Summer-Only: This is the starter package.  Runs 20 weeks, mid-June to October.  Unfortunately, there is a waiting list for this program.  Get on the list as soon as you can; the wait is approximately 18-24 months
Note that this is a vegetarian program.  Unlike the program that I participate in here in Cleveland, you will only get produce on this program.

Titus Farms, Leslie, MI (http://www.titusfarms.com/Become_A_Member.html);
This program is taking membership applications now for the 2011 program.  With this program, you can choose a vegetarian only option or add other shares such as flowers, eggs, chicken or fruit.  The other interesting thing about this program is that there are different size packages for the vegetarian shares.

CBI's Giving Tree Farm (http://cbisgivingtreefarm.wordpress.com/):  Another program taking applications for 2011.  The program this year is $300 for 23 weeks and runs from May 25th to Oct 26. 

Okay, I have to run!  But that's a start, hope it helps.  I should probably take a look at whether my program is taking applications for the summer yet.  I can't wait to start getting all that wonderful fresh produce!

No comments:

Post a Comment