Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Winter Vegetables

Today, I need to use up winter vegetables. I also need dishes that will fit into my pre-op diet which is pretty basic. I couldn't quite find a recipe that appealed tome, so I am going to do what we used to call potluck. I am going to take all the vegetables I have and make a fresh vegetable soup. Seems an appropriate dish for a snowy winter day.

 "Pot Luck" Vegetable Soup
 Note: This soup is made with vegetables I had in my kitchen. You may use whatever you have available.
  •  1/2 head cabbage*, chopped
  •  2 turnips*, peeled and diced
  •  1 large Yukon gold potato*, peeled and diced
  •  celery heart and leaves (about 4 stalks), sliced
  •  6 oz mushrooms, quartered
  •  2 cups sweet corn*, frozen or fresh
  • 2 cups frozen peas
  •  1 small sweet potato*, peeled and diced
  •  12 cups water
  •  4 Tbsp beef stock flavoring ^
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  •  1 Tbsp dried marjoram
  •  1 bay leaf
  •  1 Tbsp minced garlic
 Prepare all vegetables and place in large Dutch oven or stockpot. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil over med-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until vegetables are well cooked.



^Note:Use a good beef, chicken or vegetable stock if you have one. I did not have one, so I used a stock base.

*CSA ingredients 

No comments:

Post a Comment