Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Surgery and Beyond

Today is day 2 post surgery and things are moving swiftly.  The day of surgery, everything went well and they remembered to use glue to close the incisions. It turns out this is very much in my favor because I don't have a drain to deal with. They ultimately had to make 5 incisions, presumably because they had to fix a small hernia at the same time. They are all small incisions. I did have to deal with nausea the first day but it was attributable to the anesthesia, pain meds and the gas in my system from the surgery. I followed the advice to get up and go walking and the gas was gone by midnight. Each new nurse commented on how mobile I was. Of course, that only encouraged me to keep moving. The surprising thing is that I found my knees no longer hurt, just like that! Oh yeah, I had them switch me to liquid Tylenol after the second dose of pain meds because I really was not in physical pain and the pain meds made me nauseous.

The doctors visited at 6:30 a.m. and took a look. They were happy with how the incisions looked and happy to hear I had been up and about. They switched me to phase 2 liquids (protein shakes,etc) and told me I would be released later that day. I finally got my first protein shake and a couple sugar-free popsickles. I attempted to drink some of the shake and was immediately nauseous. I was finally able to get 4 ounces down before switching back to water. They released me around 1:30. I had had several visitors before I left, which was nice. When we got home, I attempted to drink the rest of the Boost they had given me only to end up nauseous again. I finally took a good look at the bottle and realized they had given me a regular Boost. Too much sugar. I switched to my shakes and was able to get them down without further incident. The only thing that makes me nauseous now is the liquid nausea medicine they gave me (ironically?).

Today is day 2 post-surgery. My mom made me some bullion and it was a nice change from the sweet shakes. I feel a little like a baby learning to eat again. But I am stronger every day and that is good. Mom has headed to Akron to catch her flight back to FL in the morning. John is here now.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're doing great! Seems like your pain is under control and you're moving around like crazy. Best of luck. I'll keep checking in to see how you're doing.

    ReplyDelete