Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Corn

We got the first of the sweet corn for the summer.  I have been waiting for this because I like to cut it from the cob and freeze it.  You do not have to blanch corn before you freeze it (I found out last year). So, I will take about 2 cups of the corn to make tortilla soup and then split the rest between two bags, just in case Renee doesn't get more corn in the next two weeks.  I took the last two full packages, so she will take the next two. 

The chicken tortilla soup that I am making today is one that I found on the internet years ago and it has always worked out beautifully. It always comes out a bit different every time I make it because I am not loyal to any brand of salsa and just that little change can change the flavor of this wonderful soup.  I will actually name the brands that I use today, but you can use whatever brands you like.

Amy's Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
Adapted from: http://www.a-crock-cook.com/amys-crock-pot-chicken-tortilla-soup.html

  • 1 1/2 lb. (750g) chicken breast halves*
  • 3 cups enchilada chicken broth* (from cooking enchilada chicken)
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 - 15oz. (420g) cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 cups fresh corn kernals*
  • 2 - 14.5oz cans of Rotel tomatoes
  • 1 - 14 oz. (410ml) can of tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup hungarian peppers*, chopped
  • 1 c. hot salsa (0rtega Thick and Chunky Mild)
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1 T. ground cumin
Place all ingredients into crock pot.  Cook on LOW for 4-6 hours.  Remove chicken breasts and cool: shred chicken and return to pot.  Garnish with tortilla chips, cheese, tomatoes, avocados, etc. as desired.

Note: I had fresh broth from cooking a whole chicken and chose to use that instead of canned broth.  If you do not have fresh broth available, use 4 cups canned stock (if available) or broth.  When I have them available, I also opt to roast tomatoes with jalapenos instead of using Rotel.






*CSA ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment