Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Greens and Chicken

Last night, I searched recipes for bok choy because I really needed to use up some baby bok choy I had gotten a couple weeks ago.  I found a recipe for chicken adobo that looked really good and could be made in a slow-cooker, which meant it could cook while I was sleeping.  While the recipe calls for several heads of bok choy, I also had a fairly good size bunch of kale I needed to use up, so I combined the baby bok choy and kale to give the dish some depth.

Slow-Cooker Chicken Adobo with Greens
Adapted from: http://projectroe.wordpress.com/2011/03/02/slow-cooker-chicken-adobo-with-bok-choy/
  • 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (may substitute whole chicken, cut up*)
  • 2 2/3 cup cider vinegar
  • 1 1/3 cup tamari or light soy sauce
  • 4 Tbsp light brown sugar
  • 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced*
  • sweet paprika, to taste
  • 2 heads baby bok choy*
  • 1 bunch kale*
Slice onion thinly and place in bottom slow cooker.  Mix vinegar, soy sauce and brown sugar; pour over onions.  Place chicken thighs over mixture and sprinkle with paprika.  Cover and cook on LOW 7-8 hours.  Wash greens thoroughly and chop into bite-sized pieces.  Turn slow cooker to HIGH; place greens on top of chicken.  Cook 10 minutes until greens are bright green.  Serve over rice, if desired.

Note: this recipe has quite a vinegary taste.  If you prefer a more sweet sauce, you may add a couple more tablespoons of brown sugar to cut the acid.



*CSA ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment